Wednesday, January 5, 2011

More Mommy Milestones

So, I finally got it all figured out.  Yep!  You guessed it!  This supermom now has superior stress management under control.

Not really.

Before the holiday and for the entire first half of Jacob's adventures into public school, I was gouging my eyes out with stress.  Reason?  Around 1:00pm every day, I started to pace and check the clock.  At 2:00pm, my brow started to bead with sweat.  At 2:30pm, and no help in sight, I had to clock out of whatever I was working on, travel (or not travel) 30 or so minutes to sit in the carpool line to pick up my lovely son.  My lovely son would get into said car, grumpy, smelling of pee and in desperate need to be taken care of.  In previous years, this wasn't an issue.  I could work a full day and ease into the daycare lot around 6:00pm.  The routine was set and everyone knew what everyone was doing.

Fast forward to the first few days of school.  I found myself FRANTIC having to figure out how to work and take care of Jacob without compromising everyones schedule.  This wasn't a problem, REALLY, until I started to keep office hours, respect my time, move into my fathers office area and actually HAVE an office to go to each day.

After a few months of trying to get a grip, I decided not to make any changes until after the New Year.  I looked at part time help, part time activities and it became more stressful than ever.

The smart part came after I passed a Kids R Kids daycare in our area and found out that they were (A) more affordable (B) more reliable, having an actual SCHEDULE and (C) had a BUS that picked up from the school.  They provide snacks, homework stations and the students have their own elected board of directors that give the children a voice at the center.

Done.  And......DONE.

The only thing I need now is a multi-lingual program that will continue his Spanish and teach him Italian.

No comments:

Post a Comment